Do you ever sit and just think?
When I was a kid growing up on Lake Superior I would sit on a cliff overlooking the lake for hours. I would just sit and think about life. I thought about what kind of person that I wanted to be. Largely, that time spent overlooking the lake molded me into who I am today.
When we had kids, my wife and I spent hours discussion how we wanted to raise our kids and how we wanted to balance work and play. Recently I have noticed that I have been letting life just happen to me without really thinking about it.
I feel like I have arrived at the place that I intended to go and now that I’m here I have to figure what or where I’m going. Then I realized that I hadn’t stopped and just thought through things like I used to. I was just living life and handling each day as it came. This may sound freeing and relaxed but it brings you to a place that you may not have intended. I realized that I need to sit and think about priorities because otherwise things will get prioritized for me and the things that are truly important will not get time.
So what do I want to accomplish in the 2nd half of 2011?
- To plan several fun days with my family
- To work less, not at work but working around the house
- To make my wife feel loved and special
- To continue exercising
- To sleep more
- To play for an hour straight with each kid
- Plan something in secret for my wife
- Make sure I treat everyone in my life in a calm loving and respectful way
- Listen more and talk less
- Quit bragging
- Stay out of debt